- Twenty Percent: ISIS “Khums” Tax on Archaeological Loot Fuels the Conflicts in Syria and Iraq
- Boston MFA’s Provenance Research Reveals The Illicit Trade In African Antiquities
- SCOOP: Bowers Museum will return 500+ Thai antiquities seized during 2008 raids
- UPDATED > Singapore Sling: The Asian Civilizations Museum Paid Kapoor More Than $1 million
- UPDATED > Rebuilding Koh Ker: A 3D Reconstruction Restores Context to a Looted Khmer Temple
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- Cultural Destruction by Islamic State Continues with No End in Sight fb.me/2FIqMR3nC 6 hours ago
- UK Adopts Import Restrictions On Syrian Antiquities. Will US/UN Follow Suit? fb.me/1yND64Tpq 7 hours ago
- Photos of excavation in Amphipolis suggest newly discovered massive Greek tomb was looted fb.me/1qgJsV5d9 7 hours ago
- RT @conflictantiq: Iraq: Islamic State's destroyed 'many of the buildings', homes, of Chaldeans in Talesskef/Tel Isqof @KJKnodell http://t.… 10 hours ago
- RT @CombatLooting: @saveantiquities:UK adopts resolution to prohibit import of Syrian antiquities-will US(world leader)follow UKs lead? htt… 10 hours ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Protected: Ten years in jail for US wine fraudster ‘not enough’ says Frenchman who uncovered him – Telegraph
- Protected: Greenwich art collector claims he was sold forgeries – GreenwichTime
- Protected: Art of faking it | The Asian Age
- Protected: Christie’s sued over Australian fake – The Art Newspaper
- A Healthy Trade, A Black Market Temptation: Latest Figures Show U.S. Leadership in Art and Antiquities Exports and Imports
- Bagpipes Seizure by U.S. Customs May Spur Police Involvement in Ivory Ban Debate
- Assyria to Iberia Exhibition Highlights Legal and Public Policy Issues Surrounding Foreign Lending
- UPDATED > Calling Attention to the Destruction of Heritage in Iraq
- Another Due Diligence Lesson as Becchina Archives Produce U.S. Court Forfeiture of Antiquities from Italy
- Militants have bombed the Shrine of Sufi Sheikh Taqi Baba, Mastung, Balochistan, Pakistan
- ‘We have not started a sectarian war’… but ‘we should have burned’ that mosque.
- Islamists and anti-government conspiracy theorists do exploit my work, but they’re not very good at it
- The Yezidi shrine of Shaqsebat in Babire (Iraq) appears to have been destroyed, but it is difficult to tell from the evidence
- You had me at ‘pretty much anything’
- Listen to 'Art Crime with Arthur Tompkins: Portrait of Wally' on Radio New Zealand
- The Times Magazine: Alexi Mostrous writes about Julian Radcliffe and the Art Loss Register in "The murky world of the art detective"
- Elmyr de Hory: Mark Forgy, the forger's "personal assistant", speaks to Snap Judgment in "The Grand Illusion"
- Cultural Heritage Protection: The Ġgantija Temples, Xhagra, Malta (Gozo)
- FORTE CESARE: perso, dimenticato, e forse ritrovato?
- Is there a major antiquities collector out there willing to step up and fund these heroic efforts to save heritage?
- Stings, Seizures, Restitution: Are they cost-effective? And who should pay?
- Who's Using Drones to Monitor Archaeological Sites? Looters!
- Why Christie's Thinks It Can Find Buyers for Antiquities Lacking Pre-1970s Provenance
- US Military in Iraq Used Remote Sensors Near Archaeological Sites -- Unfortunately, Not to Monitor the Sites
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Plagiarism, Libel Suit, Blackballing: Bad-News Summer for Art-&-Architecture Journalism
- Spier & Gasparatto: The Getty Museum’s Dark-Horse Curatorial Appointments UPDATED
- Do You Know the Way to Cy Près? What’s Wrong with Judge Okun’s Corcoran Opinion
- Read It and Weep: Judge Okun Allows Corcoran/National Gallery/George Washington U. Merger THREE UPDATES
- Revived American Folk Art Museum: The Ingenuity of “Self-Taught Genius”
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATE 8/5/14: The federal government has returned to Greece five ancient coins that were seized from Dr. Weiss after his arrest in Jan 2012. They are among 23 coins Weiss was forced to forfeit during the investigations detailed below, according … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading