- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- RT @UChiCollegium: .@UChiCollegium Fellow Morag Kersel is using drone photography to determine new looting episodes of antiquities http://t… 1 day ago
- RT @nadabakos: Discussion on ISIS' destruction of antiquities & reasons 'why'. @askakbar and @will_mccants make excellent points http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @madhukishwar: It is shocking that Ministry of Culture under BJP has diluted law against theft of antiquities. A must read piece https:/… 2 days ago
- RT @jstpwalsh: Just heard that Getty Villa closures for reinstalling collection will possibly begin in March - and may be whole bldg, not j… 2 days ago
- RT @davidwjgill: "Credible provenance" and the Minoan larnax @EmoryUniversity @ekathimerini lootingmatters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/credib… 2 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Protected: Fakes and forgeries – Meet Karl Waldmann, The Made-Up Dada Artist Who Fooled The German Art World
- Protected: insider theft – Former Chihuly Company Employee Charged with $3 Million Art Theft
- Protected: Deceased Art Forger Eric Hebborn Blasts Critics in Unpublished Manuscript
- Kwame Opoku – LOOTED/STOLEN CULTURAL ARTEFACTS DECLARED “SHARED HERITAGE”
- Tom Flynn – Let’s hear it for the British Museum — the greatest and most universal of all Universal Museums!
- The Night Before the Theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- Nominate CHL to the Annual Blawg 100
- Steering Clear of ISIS Loot: Don't Buy, Apply Strict Due Diligence
- House Adopts The Foreign Cultural Exchange Jurisdictional Immunity Clarification Act
- House Passes Protect and Preserve International Cultural Property Act
- Note: Rim Turkmani hasn’t estimated IS income from Nabek as $36m, she’s noted previous reports in her LSE paper
- APAA appeal on archaeological work in Ukraine’s Russia-occupied/annexed Crimea
- Chersonesus: nationalist state annexation and internationalist professional resistance
- ‘The smuggler had been smoking a cigarette when he pulled into an ISIS checkpoint’
- Buzzfeed’s Mike Giglio’s been in Turkey’s borderlands after Syria’s looted antiquities
- Confirmed - Islamic State has Destroyed the Ancient Temple of Bel in Syria's Palmyra
- UN Training and Research Agency UNITAR Visually Confirms Palmyra's Baalshamin Temple Destruction
- Doubts Emerge Over Authenticity of Painting Damaged by 12-Year-Old Boy in Taiwan.
- The Demise of the Petrified Mermaid of Chalkidiki
- Further Information Dating Destruction of the Temple of Baal Shamin
- Recipe for tasty antiquities trade: Mix together false provenance, customs misdeclarations. Store for several years. Serve to antiquities collectors.
- Meth-using pothead possible child molesting tomb robber knows enough to note findspot and stratum
- The Bible Museum/Israel Antiquities Authorities Deal: Four Lessons
- Technological innovation to detect illegal logging -- why not something similar for archaeological sites?
- UNSCR 2199 (2015): How Useful is it?
- “Hamilton’s” Universal Appeal: A Writer’s Writer, Immigrant’s Immigrant (& a Christie’s Market Tie-In)
- Adjaye in Play? What’s Behind Worldwide Search for Obama Center’s Architect?
- True-isms: Marion True, the Getty’s Sacrificial Ex-Curator, Vents Again
- Chewing Up Chiu: Thin-Skinned DC Critics Feel Snubbed by Hirshhorn’s NYC Fundraising Gala
- Reading the Tea Leaves: What is Ai Weiwei Thinking? UPDATED
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATE 8/5/14: The federal government has returned to Greece five ancient coins that were seized from Dr. Weiss after his arrest in Jan 2012. They are among 23 coins Weiss was forced to forfeit during the investigations detailed below, according … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading