- UPDATED > Sleeping Beauty: Seizure of Sarcophagus in New York Shows Value of Becchina Dossier
- UPDATED > Trouble in Toledo: Feds Investigate Stolen Ganesh, Other Objects from Kapoor at Toledo Museum
- Unprecedented: Australia’s National Gallery Sues Kapoor Over $5 Million Stolen Shiva
- UPDATED: Fordham’s Folly? Some Answers, Many More Questions about Acquisition of Syrian Mosaics
- False Provenance: Indictment of Kapoor’s Girlfriend Reveals Fake Ownership Histories
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- RT @artcrimeclass: @ChasingAphrodit her own hubris. 30 minutes ago
- RT @artcrimeclass: @ChasingAphrodit I was ordered not to go beyond exact request questions from italians..only wavered enough to get truth… 30 minutes ago
- @artcrimeclass Not politics or Urburu. Those at LAT who knew about donations in 80s were friends with Frel, looked other way. 1 hour ago
- @artcrimeclass LA Times did of course, if belatedly. What were FBI politics? 2 hours ago
- RT @ngadc: Last week to see the #DyingGaul! The sculpture was on a list of antiquities Thomas Jefferson hoped to acquire (1771). http://t.c… 2 hours ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Penn Law Penn Museum Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Art Museum Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Protected: Dafen, village of fake masterpieces, sees fortunes revived thanks to local newly rich | South China Morning Post
- Protected: Big Time Theft at Cuba Fine Arts Museum – Havana Times.org
- Protected: US Attorney reveals more Abstract Expressionist fakes found in Queens – The Art Newspaper
- Wie beschermt onze Rembrandts? Predictive Profilers!
- U.S. v. One Ancient Roman Sarcophagus Lid: Prosecutors Present Legal Arguments in Support of Forfeiture and Offer Exhibit B
- CPIA-Related Obstruction Case Concludes with Probation, a Fine, and Forfeiture of Chinese Cultural Objects
- Cultural Heritage Moot Court Champions Crowned
- New Images Tell the Story of Egypt's Cultural Heritage Crisis
- "Dismay over the injuries and loss of life": Cultural Heritage Organizations Issue Joint Statement on Bombing in Egypt
- Is it an arm? Is it a leg? What the hell is that hole?
- Another hole in the story? Damage to the Gaza ‘Apollo”s arm, leg…?
- trinkets, false leads and forgeries – the first few photos of the Gaza ‘Apollo’
- When was the “Apollo” of Gaza taken into “custody”?
- Illicit antiquities in the Attorney-General’s house?
- Gurlitt Art Collection: ARCA Lecturer Dick Ellis interviewed by "Voice of Russia" about the general issues of art restitution
- Faculty and Course Schedule for the 2014 Postgraduate Certificate Program in Art Crime and Cultural Heritage Protection
- ARCA Founder Noah Charney returns June 23-27 to Amelia for sixth year to teach "Art Forgers and Thieves" for the 2014 Postgraduate Certificate Program in Art Crime and Cultural Heritage Protection
- "Mona Lisa Is Missing" DVD offers a special discount price to ARCA blog readers
- OpEd: Italy’s Corte Suprema di Cassazione and the Getty Bronze: What will be the fate of the Fano Athlete?
- US Military in Iraq Used Remote Sensors Near Archaeological Sites -- Unfortunately, Not to Monitor the Sites
- Two Cheers for Interdiction and Restitution!
- Potentially Very Important News from Iraq about Archaeological Site Protection
- Markdowns, gluts, and technological innovation: features of illicit antiquities trading in Egypt today
- Archaeologist recognizes artifact stolen from museum, even though it is missing from the museum's list of stolen artifacts -- lessons to be learned
- Whitney Twitter Bits: My 140 X 11 Review of the Biennial UPDATED
- Corcoran Dissolution: Whither the Art-Sale Proceeds?
- Martin Sullivan, 70, Dies: Museum Director of Integrity, Grace Under Pressure (with video)
- Corcoran Confusion: Bungled Rollout of Its “Wonderful News”
- Unfair Advantage? New Artists Royalties Bill Still Exempts Dealers
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATED BELOW. Caveat Emptor, the court-mandated essay written by Rhode Island coin dealer Arnold Peter Weiss, is a long-overdue call for collectors of ancient coins to begin following the law. Weiss is the prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and ancient … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading