- Boston MFA’s Provenance Research Reveals The Illicit Trade In African Antiquities
- SCOOP: Bowers Museum will return 500+ Thai antiquities seized during 2008 raids
- UPDATED > Singapore Sling: The Asian Civilizations Museum Paid Kapoor More Than $1 million
- UPDATED > Rebuilding Koh Ker: A 3D Reconstruction Restores Context to a Looted Khmer Temple
- Reckless: In Pursuit of Shiva, the National Gallery of Australia Ignored the Advice of Its Attorney
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- Antiquities in Iraq: Fueling the Insurgency? by Robert Seddon fb.me/17SJ35UZM 5 hours ago
- RT @conflictantiq: ISIS destroyed Husseiniya wp.me/p1MKSc-1yR & @SyrianLionesss used image to claim it had destroyed church http://t.… 5 hours ago
- RT @HeritasGroup: Congratulations to team members @DMLehr and @LewiWedi who published this piece today in #ForeignAffairs! http://t.co/kjxP… 7 hours ago
- More questions about Chola bronzes @Norton Simon dug up by Vijay Kumar @poetryinstone fb.me/7cRc0o6IQ 9 hours ago
- RT @bhajournal: Fascinating article on history of #archaeology and #heritage law in Mexico and influence of US scholars http://t.co/Yj8tahj… 12 hours ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Protected: Art dealer Peter Gant tells court of gun threat over fake painting
- Ancient Egyptian mask likely to stay at St. Louis Art Museum after feds give up legal fight : News
- Protected: Accused Master Art Forger Tracked Down In Shanghai – ABC News
- Peju Layiwola – Walker and the Restitution of Two Benin Bronzes.
- Assyria to Iberia Exhibition Highlights Legal and Public Policy Issues of Foreign Lending
- UPDATED > Calling Attention to the Destruction of Heritage in Iraq
- Another Due Diligence Lesson as Becchina Archives Produce U.S. Court Forfeiture of Antiquities from Italy
- Dinosaur Cases Offer Due Diligence Lesson
- UPDATED > Dinosaur Track Defendant Pleads Guilty to PRPA Charge in Utah Federal Court
- Does harm to community property indicate either side’s intentions in the current IDF-Hamas conflict?
- Is the Iraqi News report of the destruction of Imam Yahya Abu al-Qasim Mosque accurate? No.
- There is no evidence that the al-Tahera Church (of the Immaculate/Virgin Mary) in Mosul has been destroyed (yet)
- The Shrine-Mosque of Prophet George/Nabi Jirjis has been destroyed
- Confirmed: the Shrine-Mosque of Prophet Seth/Nabi Sheet has been destroyed
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: "Ancient Egyptian mask likely to stay at St. Louis Art Museum after feds give up legal fight"
- ARCA '14 Art Crime Conference: Jordan Arnold on "Hello Dalí: Anatomy of a Modern Day Art Theft Investigation"
- Police officer with Greece's antiquities protection department arrested in smuggling ring
- Lipinski Stradivarius Theft, Milwaukee: Man sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for participating in robbery (providing convicted felon with Taser used in attack)
- FORTE CESARE: lost, forgotten and hopefully found?
- Stings, Seizures, Restitution: Are they cost-effective? And who should pay?
- Who's Using Drones to Monitor Archaeological Sites? Looters!
- Why Christie's Thinks It Can Find Buyers for Antiquities Lacking Pre-1970s Provenance
- US Military in Iraq Used Remote Sensors Near Archaeological Sites -- Unfortunately, Not to Monitor the Sites
- Two Cheers for Interdiction and Restitution!
- Are the British Museum planning on moving the Elgin Marbles
- Preview screening of Promakhos – a film about the Parthenon Marbles
- Greece needs a new Melina Mercouri to spearhead the Parthenon Marbles Campaign
- The Athenian Acropolis as a movie backdrop
- Rhodes offers to host Clooney’s wedding in thanks for Parthenon Marbles support
- Carol, Do You Copy? Vogel’s Sticky Wiki
- Koons, Whitney, Wynn and My “Greater Fool” Theory of Trophy Art
- News Flash: Standing Granted for Some Save the Corcoran Members UPDATED and CORRECTED
- Corcoran Cliffhanger: What Will Happen in DC Superior Court Tomorrow? UPDATED
- News Flash: D.C. Attorney General Supports Corcoran Merger
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATED BELOW. Caveat Emptor, the court-mandated essay written by Rhode Island coin dealer Arnold Peter Weiss, is a long-overdue call for collectors of ancient coins to begin following the law. Weiss is the prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and ancient … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading