- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- India plans to combat looting by creating an open market for antiquities within the country fb.me/weSCnwXJ 1 hour ago
- RT @HeritageAtState: MT @INTERPOL_HQ >1,300 items taken from Deir Atiyah Museum & other sites in #Syria being added to #INTERPOL stolen wor… 3 hours ago
- VJ @poetryinstone has linked a sculpture seized from Kapoor to the Indian village it was stolen from 1 day ago
- RT @poetryinstone: Success is sweet and one more to celebrate @IndiaPrideProj @ChasingAphrodit wait to hear more of this amazing story http… 1 day ago
- Phnon Pen Post: Experts disagree over antiquity repatriations fb.me/7CYrK0r16 1 day ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Kwame Opoku – THEY ARE SELLING RECORDS OF AFRICAN HISTORY: WHO CARES?
- Protected: ‘Fake’ pop art sold at top Nordic auction house
- Protected: Art Forger (Wolfgang Beltracchi) freed and making millions
- Protected: German Art Dealer Busted Trying to Sell Fake Giacometti Sculpture
- Protected: Brett Whiteley Fakes: Artist Conservator And Dealer Stand Trail For Accused Art Crime
- Culture Under Threat Conference in Cairo: Red Arch Raises Important Questions Posed by U.S. Imports of Art, Collectors' Pieces, and Antiques
- Cultural Property Protection Bill Reintroduced in the House
- The Assyrian Head Repatriation: Filling in the Details of ICE's Investigation
- Cultural Property Crime on the U.N. Agenda: Upcoming Crime Conference Set to Tackle Heritage Trafficking
- Kapoor Idol Trafficking Conspirator Sentenced
- OA, no way
- Antiquities collectors must be mindful of potential complicity in human rights abuses
- Interpol did not claim that Islamic State made $100m-a-year from conflict antiquities
- ‘Anyone caught carrying a map or book using those names’ may be fined or imprisoned
- Allegedly according to Interpol, “Islamic State pockets $100 million yearly from heritage booty [conflict antiquities]”!?
- Ex-Art: a review of the Salvage Art Institute’s "No Longer Art" exhibit
- Art Restitution: Van Dyck’s Triple Portrait of King Charles I stolen from Castle Kronberg during World War II by American servicemen to be returned to Frankfurt
- ARCA's Annual 2015 Interdisciplinary Art Crime Conference in Italy - Confirmed Speakers Announcement
- (Sub)Urban Cultural Heritage Protection: Park Forest House Museum in Illinois -- why you should support your local museums
- Gaziantep, Land of Antiquities and a Whole Lot More
- Killed ISIS leader had a trove of antiquities in his compound
- "Is it time to rethink our ideas about preserving world heritage?"
- Post-disaster response: Is priests spontaneously deciding to sleep in the ruins to stop temple looters the best we can do?
- If a reporter can go undercover and reveal a smuggling network, why aren't the police and UNESCO doing so?
- Art Loss Register at work
- Parsing Pasternak: What Were the Brooklyn Museum’s Trustees Thinking?
- Pro Bono Ono: Yoko Sees Her MoMA Show as Encouragement for Those Long Overlooked (with video)
- Whither the Whitney? Outtakes from My Tour of the New Whitney with Donna De Salvo and Carter Foster
- Give Yoko Ono a Chance: Pioneering Conceptual Artist Belatedly Gets Her MoMA Show
- Christie’s Maintains Contemporary-Art Dominance with $658.53-Million Sale
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATE 8/5/14: The federal government has returned to Greece five ancient coins that were seized from Dr. Weiss after his arrest in Jan 2012. They are among 23 coins Weiss was forced to forfeit during the investigations detailed below, according … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading