- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- Sam Hardy has done an important analysis of looting in Palmyra by the rebels, the Assad regime and the Islamic State fb.me/2hzQFYUDN 4 hours ago
- ISIS militants force activists caught smuggling Palmyra statues to safety to destroy them in front of a baying crowd fb.me/3T2zClBNN 1 day ago
- WSJ on Kapoor Seizure: Looted Indian Relic Is Recovered fb.me/4fUB9CMaE 1 day ago
- Kapoor case: A private collector has surrendered a Chola bronze stolen from a Tamil Nadu temple. ICE officials... fb.me/57cnCbzph 2 days ago
- RT @artrecovery: We're at @ChathamHouse to hear @IrinaBokova discuss the destruction of cultural heritage in times of conflict http://t.co/… 2 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Kwame Opoku – BRITISH MUSEUM “GUARDS” LOOTED SYRIAN OBJECT?
- Protected: insider theft – Prosecutors are expected to file charges against former Open Shutter Gallery manager Brandon Donahue in connection with a wide-ranging case of art theft
- Protected: insider theft – Theft of holy Quran bearing Aurangzeb seal: High Court quashes suspension of SPS Museum employees
- Protected: insider theft – Theft of $3 million in Dale Chihuly art goes unnoticed
- Protected: Police have arrested two curators of a new Cairo museum for allegedly stealing ancient artefacts and replacing them with replicas
- House Adopts The Foreign Cultural Exchange Jurisdictional Immunity Clarification Act
- House Passes Protect and Preserve International Cultural Property Act
- Culture Under Threat Conference in Cairo: Red Arch Raises Important Questions Posed by U.S. Imports of Art, Collectors' Pieces, and Antiques
- Cultural Property Protection Bill Reintroduced in the House
- The Assyrian Head Repatriation: Filling in the Details of ICE's Investigation
- Palmyra: looting under the rebels, the Assad regime and the Islamic State?
- How does destroying buildings save children? (It doesn’t.)
- Islamic State has destroyed Sheikh Mohammed Ali’s tomb, outside Palmyra, Syria
- Hostage to misfortune: blackmail by the Islamic State and failure by the international community
- Islamic State may be mining Palmyra to prevent Assad regime forces using it as a route of attack
- Further Information about Palermo's stolen Caravaggio Nativity painting
- Sicily, Palermo, Cicero, and a missing Caravaggio ...
- Islamic Manuscript Collections in Conflict Zones: Safeguarding Written Heritage, hosted by the University of Cambridge from 5 to 7 October 2015
- ARCA 2015 Interdisciplinary Art Crime Conference Schedule
- Noah Charney's book "The Art of Forgery" discussed on NPR's "Fresh Air" with Dave Davies
- Technological innovation to detect illegal logging -- why not something similar for archaeological sites?
- UNSCR 2199 (2015): How Useful is it?
- ISIL issuing official licenses authorizing organized looting of sites
- The Obama Administration: MIA on the Destruction of Syrian and Iraqi Heritage
- Sotheby's contributed $75K to support Syrian heritage protection efforts
- Crank It Up: Thomas Heatherwick’s Contrarian Contrivances at the Cooper Hewitt (with video)
- Hailing Harold Holzer: Retirement Bash Today for Metropolitan Museum’s Public Affairs VP UPDATED
- Cash-Cow Art Loans in Abu Dhabi: What “Commercial Interests” of British Museum Would Be Harmed by Disclosure?
- “Fragmented Exhibition Spaces”: Guggenheim Picks Architects for Helsinki
- Guggenheim Helsinki Competition Winner Announced Tomorrow (fly-through video tonight)
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATE 8/5/14: The federal government has returned to Greece five ancient coins that were seized from Dr. Weiss after his arrest in Jan 2012. They are among 23 coins Weiss was forced to forfeit during the investigations detailed below, according … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading