A wonderful documentary (in Italian) showing the return of the Getty goddess to Sicily has been posted by Sicilian news site ViviEnna. You can see images of the statue’s installation and exhibition in the archaeological museum in Aidone, as well as shots of Morgatina, the nearby ruins where the statue was illegally excavated in 1979.
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- Christos strikes yet again. Every time it makes clear the art market is not doing enough to prevent illicit sales twitter.com/poetryinstone/… 7 hours ago
- RT @poetryinstone: Wondering what the @DenverArtMuseum purchased from #kapoorloot ? As documents filed as evidence in the court filing show… 21 hours ago
- RT @a_moiseienko: A new book that I co-edited w/ @ArtCrimeAHRC is now out, covering subjects from illicit treasure-hunting to mafia involve… 2 days ago
- RT @DrEmilineSmith: Benin Receives $22.5 Million Loan From France for New Museum - hyperallergic.com/509718/benin-r… 3 days ago
- RT @praddenkeefe: This is new, and somewhat surprising: a bunch of institutions have said they won’t take new $$ from the Sacklers, but the… 3 days ago
- RT @HeritageAtState: #DKY In 2018, member agencies of the Cultural Antiquities Task Force (#CATF) like @FBI and @ICEgov collectively repatr… 3 days ago
- RT @poetryinstone: West must return the heritage it has looted arabnews.com/node/1526651#.… 3 days ago
- RT @poetryinstone: Museum curator on the ancient sculptures discovered in fruit crates standard.co.uk/futurelondon/c… 3 days ago
- RT @elginism: A major problem encountered by citizen led campaigns to return African cultural property is that they require co-operation of… 3 days ago
- RT @bellingcat: Through photos and videos published by local outlets in Aleppo’s Afrin district, we have investigated numerous reports of d… 3 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Kwame Opoku – FRANCE ON COURSE TO RESTITUTION OF LOOTED AFRICAN ARTEFACTS
- Kwame Opoku – TO DECOLONIZE IS TO DECONTEXTUALIZE, TRISTRAM HUNT. SHOULD WE STOP ASKING FOR RESTITUTION OF OUR LOOTED ARTEFACTS ?
- In loving memory of Artnose
- Kwame Opoku – YOU CANNOT GO VERY WRONG WITH BENIN ARTEFACTS: MADE IN BENIN, THEY BELONG TO THE OBA.
- Europe and burden of looted African artefacts: Reparation or repatriation?
- At the Crossroads of Cultural Heritage Preservation: SCOTUS Rules on the Peace Cross and the Establishment Clause
- El Salvador Seeks U.S. Renewal of Cultural Property MoU
- CPAC Considers Import Restrictions on Cultural Property from Chile and Jordan
- The Met's Surrender of a Gilded Egyptian Coffin Presents a Golden Opportunity to Deter Antiquities Looting
- Jordan Seeks U.S. Import Restrictions to Protect Archaeological Heritage
- to get a good price, ‘you have to sell in international bidding sites’: trafficking of metal-detected cultural goods from South Asia
- online trafficking of cultural objects from crisis zones and conflict zones and open-source analysis of the illicit trade
- antiquities trafficking and conflict financing: the fight against looting and smuggling of cultural property goods in a global perspective of peace
- Adnan Oktar (or Harun Yahya), truckloads of ‘antiquities’ and a ‘stolen’ painting
- EU-Brazil Sector Dialogues on interoperability of systems for combating illicit trafficking of cultural objects
- Quando, Dove, Da Chi e a Quale Prezzo
- The value of a boy king in the form of the ancient Egyptian god Amen: All Sales Final
- Questions for Christie's with regards to its upcoming sale of the Quartzite head of the young pharaoh portrayed as the ancient god Amun
- Object Withdrawn - Bonhams Auction House - Apulian red-figure janiform kantharos
- Auction Alert - Bonhams Auction House - An il(licit) Apulian red-figure janiform kantharos?
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- “Unfinished” (again) at the Met: A Lone Loan of “Jerome” for Leonardo’s 500th Anniversary (video)
- BlogBack: A CultureGrrl Reader on Critic Douglas Crimp, Met Curator Douglas Eklund & “The Pictures Generation”
- “That Little Exhibition”: The Late Douglas Crimp on His Show that Anointed “The Pictures Generation”
- Bye-Bye, Rothko; Welcome, Mickalene: SFMOMA’s Diversity Perversity (Continued)
- Race to the Bottom? What a “Private” Sotheby’s Might Really Mean