Join 10,168 other followers
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- RT @conflictantiq: Russian antiquities looters were discussing what to take when mobilised. An antiwar emigrant told them to take a loan, a… 59 minutes ago
- RT @chapps: Really, #Christies? A supposed 2nd c. CE portrait head of a Palmyrene priest that first appeared in 1990 at a Sotheby's sale? N… 1 hour ago
- RT @incunabula: THE AFRICAN BOOK Africa has the oldest and most diverse book culture of any continent. Here, in a dozen tweets, is why. On… 1 hour ago
- @vastarchive @rogueclassicist @chapps @artcrimeprof “Baalbek Reborn” can be experienced…@thanks to the generosity o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- @rogueclassicist @vastarchive @chapps @artcrimeprof cannabislaw.report/watch-out-gulf… 5 hours ago
- @vastarchive @rogueclassicist @chapps @artcrimeprof Article says family art collection was worth $100 million. Hack… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- @vastarchive @rogueclassicist @chapps @artcrimeprof A little background on the “Devoted Classicist” Bassam Alghanim online.wsj.com/article/SB1000… 5 hours ago
- @vastarchive @rogueclassicist @chapps @artcrimeprof House just sold in April. Pics show lots more antiquities than… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- @rogueclassicist @chapps @artcrimeprof This one has Jerome Eisenberg (Royal Athena) and Bruce McNall (Summa Gallery… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
- @rogueclassicist @chapps @artcrimeprof First know location is “Private collection Lugano 1993,” the notorious smugg… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Cultural Property Lawyers Must Remain Alert to Antiquities Trafficking and Money Laundering
- 7 Questions You Have About the Manhattan DA’s Agreement with "A New York Antiquities Collector"
- Cultural Property Stakeholders Clash Over AML/CFT Regs for Antiquities Dealers
- New Law Aims to Protect Lunar Artifacts
- Thai Cultural Property Case Edges Closer to Settlement
- artefact-hunting in drug plantations and by cannabis-cultivators in Ukraine (around 2014)
- attitudes to personal and public health precautions among artefact-hunters amid the Covid-19 pandemic
- human rights worker and anti-imperialist fighter Maksym Butkevych has been captured by Russia’s invading forces
- Russia’s destruction of Ukraine’s cultural property is proof of its intent to commit genocide.
- Russia is subjecting cultural heritage workers and other civilians to the war crime of forced military labour.
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Search Results for: Steinhardt
Steinhardt Redux: Feds Seize Fresco Looted from Italian World Heritage Site, Destined for New York Billionaire
UPDATED with a statement from Andrew Baker below. Federal agents in New York have seized a looted fresco fragment destined for Michael Steinhardt, the billionaire hedge fund titan turned antiquities collector, according to court records filed last week. The legal … Continue reading
The journey of an ancient sculpture of a bull’s head from its theft during the Lebanese civil war through the shadowy corners and winding pathways of the international antiquities black market. Continue reading
The legal dispute over an ancient Khmer statue at Sotheby’s could have lasting implications for the sale of ancient art in the United States. For those catching up on the case: Sotheby’s New York was poised to put the 10th … Continue reading
The Dallas Museum of Art contacted Italian authorities this month seeking information about three objects the museum acquired from antiquities dealer Edoardo Almagia, who is currently under investigation for trafficking in looted antiquities. Almagia has been under investigation since at … Continue reading