- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
- Twenty Percent: ISIS “Khums” Tax on Archaeological Loot Fuels the Conflicts in Syria and Iraq August 14, 2014
- Boston MFA’s Provenance Research Reveals The Illicit Trade In African Antiquities July 30, 2014
- SCOOP: Bowers Museum will return 500+ Thai antiquities seized during 2008 raids June 10, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- RT @artrecovery: How Egypt is trying to stop looting at ancient mosques almon.co/2t0i via @AlMonitor 1 day ago
- RT @EliotHiggins: Close up of the recent destruction of the Tetrapylon and Roman Theatre at #Palmyra by ISIS (fixed dates) https://t.co/4w3… 1 day ago
- RT @IcomOfficiel: Perú recupera 82 piezas de su patrimonio cultural en Italia @Agencia_Andina scoop.it/t/economical-a… 1 day ago
- RT @DrDonnaYates: Antiquities Trafficking and Art Crime Research Opportunities: 19 Jan 2017 anonymousswisscollector.com/2017/01/opport… https://t.co/JjEdqmtSQu 1 day ago
- RT @ASOResearch: Since taking back #Palmyra ISIL has executed civilians, destroyed the Tetrapylon and part of the Roman Theater. https://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @breviaria: Daesh destruye la fachada del Teatro Romano y el Tetrápilo en Palmira sana.sy/es/?p=59703 https://t.co/BjpMla4CqD 1 day ago
- RT @AnnieLowrey: Team Trump is planning to eliminate the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities. thehill.com/policy/finance… 2 days ago
- RT @CultureGrrl: "Baseless" says @GettyMuseum re: $77m-plus Phoenix Ancient Art lawsuit over major ancient sculpture coll. (Torlonia) https… 4 days ago
- And you VJ @poetryinstone twitter.com/poetryinstone/… 4 days ago
- @poetryinstone Yes. We pointed to Michaela's December story on same. 5 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- High Art, Wall Street Money, and Forgery Claims Collide in Quiet Corner of N.H.
- F Is for Forgery: Van Gogh’s Lost Arles Sketchbook :: Visual Arts :: Features :: Paste
- Furti d’arte in Italia: il grande lavoro dei Carabinieri
- Kwame Opoku – Did Egyptians Never Ask For The Restitution Of Nefertiti?
- How Science Uncovered $80 Million of Fine Art Forgeries | WIRED
- President Obama Fills Last CPAC Positions
- President Obama Fills More Cultural Heritage Policy Positions
- Ahead of Term's End, President Makes Several Cultural Heritage Board Appointments
- New Cultural Heritage Laws Enacted
- Felony Charges Against NY Antiquities Dealer Begins Cultural Property Prosecution in State Court
- a dismembered Buddha from Indonesia sold for 246 per cent more than its estimate at Christie’s Paris auction
- Christie’s Paris auction of sacred images and other antiquities from Asia, 14th December 2016
- conflict antiquities, from Libya to Italy and from Syria to Belgium, and lack of due diligence in the international market
- trigger warnings or content warnings and archaeologies of modern conflict
- ISIS and the missing treasures, the missing treasures and ISIS?
- Camorra bosses convicted, Van Gogh's can go home to Amsterdam.......shortly.
- Is art crime understudied? Yes, but you can help us change that.
- Auction Alert and Antiquities Seizure: Royal-Athena Galleries, New York
- Seminar: Risk Management in the Art and Antiquities Markets Part II: Criminal and Compliance Risk - 7 February 2017
- The officers who serve to protect art in the UK Military: A personal account by Lt Col Tim Purbrick
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- Libya: Cultural Racketeering by the Actual Mafia and What it Tells Us about How It Should Be Fought
- Parcak's Peru Project: What about the looters?
- If Florence can lease its piazzas, why can't museums lease antiquities to raise $ to protect sites?
- "Safe haven" self-justifies collector/curator/dealer in smuggling Pakistani artifacts
- New finds from wreck of Elgin’s ship off Kythera - Lecture at Kings College London by Dimitris Kourkoumelis
- RIP Professor Norman Palmer - A great mind, as a barrister he defended numerous cultural property cases
- Mock Trial : Greece vs UK – The Parthenon Sculptures - A moot court is being held at Monash University in Melbourne to discuss the issue
- Talk by Dr Tom Flynn on the Parthenon Sculptures - Reunification of the Parthenon Marbles: breaking the deadlock?
- Export bans – is Britain a cultural one way street? - Why do we feel other countries should share their culture, but then place bans on the export of our own
- Stumped by Trump: MoMA’s Lowry Walks “Fine Line” Between “Asserting Values” & Being Partisan
- “Baseless Claims”: Getty Blasts Phoenix Ancient Art for Megamillion Lawsuit Over Torlonia Collection
- Art Errors: Steve Cohen Evades Not Only the Feds, But Also the New Yorker’s Fact-Checkers
- Good News for the New Year: Reinstallation of the Getty Villa
- “Staying Strong” to Get Over the Trump Hump: Whitney Director Adam Weinberg Makes His Stand
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATE 8/5/14: The federal government has returned to Greece five ancient coins that were seized from Dr. Weiss after his arrest in Jan 2012. They are among 23 coins Weiss was forced to forfeit during the investigations detailed below, according … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading