- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
- Twenty Percent: ISIS “Khums” Tax on Archaeological Loot Fuels the Conflicts in Syria and Iraq August 14, 2014
- Boston MFA’s Provenance Research Reveals The Illicit Trade In African Antiquities July 30, 2014
- SCOOP: Bowers Museum will return 500+ Thai antiquities seized during 2008 raids June 10, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- Nice to see VJ Kumar's @poetryinstone work credited here > How idol thieves deceived devotees fb.me/1XepIUR5t 1 day ago
- RT @JasonLeopold: Jared Kushner Failed to Report Multimillion-Dollar Art Collection news.artnet.com/art-world/jare… 1 day ago
- Nearly $100k in looted artifacts seized from a Manhattan gallery, but the dealer was not named by DA? This is not... fb.me/YVGv1928 1 day ago
- Apologies Michael*a* Boland for the typo. @michaelamarea I clearly miss having a copy desk... twitter.com/ChasingAphrodi… 1 day ago
- RT @poetryinstone: @michaelamarea she has landed in chennai and is moving back to vriddhachalam - her abode in a few days ! @ChasingAphrodi… 1 day ago
- Michael Boland on the fruits of our labor: Stolen art from Australia back in India museum fb.me/BIXz3o3M 2 days ago
- RT @sarahmarei777: I was present when storages were looted & we scrambled to save what was left. It is the most violating, helpless, infuri… 2 days ago
- RT @gardnerheist: Hiding in plain sight under $10 Million headline: Acknowledgement thieves are alive & video visitor's i.d. is known http… 2 days ago
- The Downfall of Rob Freeman, an Ancient Coin Dealer Who Defrauded Customers of Millions and Lost a Bronze Head fb.me/7WDPFCnx9 2 days ago
- RT @classichistgeek: "...a continuing series of temporary exhibitions — cross-cultural and interdisciplinary." latimes.com/entertainment/… 2 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- The Guennol Stargazer – an iconic work of art from the 3rd millennium BC… and from Turkey
- Preconceived notions detract from the scholarly value of analysis
- How many people are metal-detecting and how many cultural objects are they finding?
- quantitative analysis of open-source data on metal detecting for cultural property: estimation of the scale and intensity of metal detecting and the quantity of metal-detected cultural goods
- fake Christian manuscript, possibly from Syria, in Turkey, seized from Syrian and Turkish traffickers
- Look into my eyes, but also into my collection history.
- Blast from ARCA Program Pasts: ARCA'13 Alum Summer Clowers asks: Is the ARCA program for you? Really now.
- Art Held Hostage: Italy's Carabinieri issue its new online bulletin of stolen works of art
- Working canines: Can customs dogs be trained to sniff out smuggled antiquities?
- Auction Alert: Christie's New York and the Guennol Stargazer
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- Libya: Cultural Racketeering by the Actual Mafia and What it Tells Us about How It Should Be Fought
- Parcak's Peru Project: What about the looters?
- If Florence can lease its piazzas, why can't museums lease antiquities to raise $ to protect sites?
- "Safe haven" self-justifies collector/curator/dealer in smuggling Pakistani artifacts
- Could Brexit present an opportunity to return the Parthenon Marbles? - Britain has the perfect opportunity to do the right thing and resolve differences in the coming months
- The continuing campaign for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles - Recent efforts by the IARPS in the fight for restitution
- TourismA 2017 in Florence - Parthenon Marbles round table discussion to form part of cultural tourism conference
- New finds from wreck of Elgin’s ship off Kythera - Lecture at Kings College London by Dimitris Kourkoumelis
- RIP Professor Norman Palmer - A great mind, as a barrister he defended numerous cultural property cases
- Doomsday Scenario: President Trump’s Bludgeoned Budgets for NEA, NEH, IMLS (with video)
- $110.5-Million Man: Yusaku Maezawa Buys Basquiat, Setting Auction Record for Any American Artist
- Suspension of Suspense: Christie’s Tops Sotheby’s in Relying on Pre-Arranged Bids for Major Auctions
- Next Week’s Bellwether Auctions: Guarantees, Investor Pleas, Uncertainties
- Schmooze & Peruse: My Storify on the Frieze Art Fair in New York
Search Results for: weiss
UPDATE 8/5/14: The federal government has returned to Greece five ancient coins that were seized from Dr. Weiss after his arrest in Jan 2012. They are among 23 coins Weiss was forced to forfeit during the investigations detailed below, according … Continue reading
The Case of the Dodgy Drachmas: Arnold Peter Weiss, Prominent Rhode Island Surgeon, Pleads Guilty; “Looted” Coins Prove Forgeries.
Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, a prominent Rhode Island hand surgeon and dealer in ancient coins, pleaded guilty in New York City Tuesday to three counts of attempted criminal possession of ancient coins he believed had been recently looted from Italy. … Continue reading
[See below for updates.] Dr. Arnold Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island doctor arrested in New York City on Jan. 3 for allegedly trying to sell a looted ancient coin, had his first court appearance in a Manhattan criminal court on … Continue reading
The Rhode Island School of Design has provided a complete list of donations made by former museum chairman Arnold Peter Weiss, the Providence doctor and collector of ancient coins who was arrested in New York last month for possession of … Continue reading
A surprising detail emerged while we were reading about Nomos AG, the Swiss coin dealership whose principal, Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, was arrested on January 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin allegedly looted recently in Sicily. One of Weiss’ … Continue reading
*UPDATED: See below for additional information from RISD and Harvard Art Museums. Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss, the Rhode Island coin collector arrested Jan. 3 for felony possession of an ancient coin that authorities say he knew was recently looted from Sicily, … Continue reading
Happy New Year from Chasing Aphrodite. It’s been a year and a half since our book was published, and during that time the hunt for looted antiquities at the world’s museums has gone global. Over the past 12 months we’ve … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
A prominent Rhode Island surgeon and collector of ancient coins was arrested on January 3rd in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City for felony possession of an ancient coin recently looted from Sicily. Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, a world-renowned hand surgeon … Continue reading