Join 10,020 other followers
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- J Paul Getty purchased the colossal deity head in 1972 from...Robin Symes – the same London dealer in looted antiq… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- Here are those four other objects going back: a second-century AD colossal marble head of a divinity; a stone mold… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- RT @chapps: This is tremendously painful. The #GettyMuseum must return the famed terracotta Orpheus statue group to Italy, after the @Manha… 11 hours ago
- RT @peterbcampbell: "The New ‘Monuments Officers’ Prepare to Protect Art Amid War: A group of art experts have had intensive training to be… 12 hours ago
- RT @votey_m: @ChasingAphrodit Spotted this today at the @metmuseum, right at the entrance. I wonder how much longer it will be up? Given wh… 12 hours ago
- @ManhattanDA The LA Times art writer @debvankin has updated her story with an additional tidbit: "The institutio… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- @ManhattanDA The search warrant for the Orpheus was filed under seal in April and values the group at $8 million. https://t.co/kxLdm0icTd 14 hours ago
- @ManhattanDA This snap from 2007 gives you a sense for their display in the old Villa galleries. https://t.co/Fq02eBIO5M 16 hours ago
- @ManhattanDA As those who have visited the Getty Villa know, this one hurts. The life-size terracottas once domin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 hours ago
- @ManhattanDA The Getty collection page suggests the group was found in a tomb in Tarentum, an ancient Greek city in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 hours ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Cultural Property Lawyers Must Remain Alert to Antiquities Trafficking and Money Laundering
- 7 Questions You Have About the Manhattan DA’s Agreement with "A New York Antiquities Collector"
- Cultural Property Stakeholders Clash Over AML/CFT Regs for Antiquities Dealers
- New Law Aims to Protect Lunar Artifacts
- Thai Cultural Property Case Edges Closer to Settlement
- Smash and Smash at the Dallas Museum of Art
- Elizabeth Marlowe’s Review of ‘The Brutish Museum’
- The Terrific Pandora Papers Looted Art Article
- Italian Senate renews call for return of the ‘Bronze Statue of a Victorious Youth’
- Psychics, Bowie knives, fake Alamo artifacts: New Book out today on how Texas can’t shake the Alamo
- artefact-hunting in drug plantations and by cannabis-cultivators in Ukraine (around 2014)
- attitudes to personal and public health precautions among artefact-hunters amid the Covid-19 pandemic
- human rights worker and anti-imperialist fighter Maksym Butkevych has been captured by Russia’s invading forces
- Russia’s destruction of Ukraine’s cultural property is proof of its intent to commit genocide.
- Russia is subjecting cultural heritage workers and other civilians to the war crime of forced military labour.
- In Memoriam - Dick Drent (1959-2022)
- Justice Rendered: The final confiscation of properties and business enterprises of Gianfranco Becchina has been confirmed.
- Justice rendered in the attempted theft of Claude Monet's De Voorzaan en de Westerhem from the Zaans Museum
- Save the Date/Call for Presenters: August 5-7, 2022 ARCA's 11th Annual Art Crime Conference
- Potential CITES violations and a seizure of specimens from one (of many) large hunted animals collections in Spain.
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Search Results for: kapoor
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office has charged the sister of Manhattan antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor with attempting to hide from federal authorities four stolen bronze sculptures worth $14.5 million. Sushma Sareen was charged on October 7 with four counts of felony … Continue reading
The Art Gallery of New South Wales has released provenance information for one of the six objects it purchased from Subhash Kapoor, the New York antiquities dealer currently facing trial in India for trafficking in looted art. (Past coverage here.) … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
UPDATED: In recent years Canada’s Royal Ontario Museum has acquired eight objects from Art of the Past, the Manhattan antiquities gallery specializing in South Asian art that is now the focus of an international investigation into its owner’s alleged ties … Continue reading
UPDATED: Kapoor’s Footprints: 240 Objects from Alleged Antiquities Trafficker Traced to Museums Around the Globe
[UPDATED 8/27 with details from SF Asian.] We’ve begun hearing back from museums that did business with Subhash Kapoor, the New York antiquities dealer under arrest in India for trafficking in looted antiquities. For those just catching up with the … Continue reading
The investigation of antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor, which made international headlines this week when federal agents raided his Manhattan warehouse, promises to shine a bright light on the illicit trade in antiquities smuggled out of India and other South Asian countries … Continue reading
In the wake of the arrest of the Manhattan antiquities dealer Nancy Wiener, we’re teaming up with our friends at the India Pride Project to track down the ancient objects she and her mother Doris Wiener sold to museums and private … Continue reading
UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses
Antiquities dealer Nancy Wiener was arrested Wednesday morning in Manhattan and charged with conspiring with international smuggling networks to buy, smuggle, launder and sell millions of dollars worth of stolen Asian art thru leading auction houses. Wiener is a second generation dealer who runs one … Continue reading
This week, a series of five federal raids during New York’s Asia week led to the seizure of at least eight looted antiquities and the arrest of at least one dealer. This is the first of several posts that … Continue reading
Federal agents raided the Nancy Wiener Gallery on Thursday, the latest move in an aggressive crack down on the trade in ancient Asian art that has targeted several leading dealers and auction houses and shaken up New York’s Asia Week … Continue reading