Join 10,218 other subscribers
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
Like us for the daily updates
Tweeting AphroditeTweets by chasingaphrodit
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
Ton Cremer’s MSN
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Cultural Heritage Lawyer Rick St. Hilaire
- Cultural Property Lawyers Must Remain Alert to Antiquities Trafficking and Money Laundering
- 7 Questions You Have About the Manhattan DA’s Agreement with “A New York Antiquities Collector”
- Cultural Property Stakeholders Clash Over AML/CFT Regs for Antiquities Dealers
- New Law Aims to Protect Lunar Artifacts
- Thai Cultural Property Case Edges Closer to Settlement
- Antiquities Trafficking Bathed in Sunshine: Disclosures of Shell Company Owners and Suspicious Financial Transactions May Be on the Horizon if the NDAA Becomes Law
- OFAC Puts High-Value Art Market Participants on Notice
- Brooklyn Man Indicted for Egyptian Artifact Smuggling. Did COVID-19 Impact Grand Jury Selection?
- Cultural Property Lawyers Take Note: ABA Ethics Opinion Warns About Criminal Clients
- No “Seize and Send” in Prosecution Involving Mosaic Reportedly from Syria
Paul Barford’s Portable Antiquities and Heritage Issues
- You Don't Say.
- Looted Symes Objects Returned to Italy
- Looted Symes Objects Returned to Greece
- Stolen Head Returned to Torlonia Collection
- Bubbly Fields on Merovingian Coins: The 'Peckham Hoard'
- Gianfranco Adornato on Some Objects Repatriated From Dodgy US Market
- Crimean Coin Taken by Soviets from Museum Collection Sold for Record Price
- Physical Evidence of the 2014-2024 War in Ukraine
- Collectors and their Notorious Inability to Profit from Sharing Information
- Bakhmut Museum
Derek Fincham’s Illicit Cultural Property
- 27 Objects Seized From the Met
- Smash and Smash at the Dallas Museum of Art
- Elizabeth Marlowe’s Review of ‘The Brutish Museum’
- The Terrific Pandora Papers Looted Art Article
- Italian Senate renews call for return of the ‘Bronze Statue of a Victorious Youth’
- Psychics, Bowie knives, fake Alamo artifacts: New Book out today on how Texas can’t shake the Alamo
- Online Symposium on the Benin Bronzes Friday Apr. 9
- University of Aberdeen will repatriate a Benin bronze to Nigeria
- Art Museum intruders escaped by boat last night in Houston
- At least they left most of the art alone
David Gill’s Looting Matters
- Sourcing Makron
- Fragments from a cup attributed to Makron
- Princeton Fragments from an Attic Cup
- Developments at Princeton
- Amphora fragment seized from Princeton
- Return of antiquities to Türkiye
- Bronze Hydria Returns to Greece
- Further returns to Greece
- UK Government and the Parthenon: Update
- A Roman fresco fragment and some apparent cut marks
- propagandist fighter Maxim Fomin and the supply of metal detectors by artefact hunters for mine clearing by Russia’s forces in Ukraine
- Destructive Exploitation and care of Cultural Objects and Professional/Public Education for sustainable heritage management (DECOPE)
- a very low estimate of metal-detecting in the United Kingdom, according to the Portable Antiquities Scheme
- loot and forgeries from Eastern Europe on the market in Western Europe, regardless of Russia’s war on Ukraine
- artefact-hunting in drug plantations and by cannabis-cultivators in Ukraine (around 2014)
- attitudes to personal and public health precautions among artefact-hunters amid the Covid-19 pandemic
- human rights worker and anti-imperialist fighter Maksym Butkevych has been captured by Russia’s invading forces
- Russia’s destruction of Ukraine’s cultural property is proof of its intent to commit genocide.
- Russia is subjecting cultural heritage workers and other civilians to the war crime of forced military labour.
- There is a market in Belarus for cultural property that has been stolen from Ukraine, pillaged by Russia’s soldiers and mercenaries.
The Association for Research into Crimes against Art
- The Amelia Conference - June 23-25, 2023 - Registration is now open
- Summer Course in Provenance Research, Theory and Practice
- 2023 ARCA Amelia Conference - Save the Date & Call for Presenters
- 77 looted artefacts to the Republic of Yemen and a well known Brooklyn dealer
- Penelope Jackson The Art of Copying Art
- Burglars strike the Princessehof Ceramics Museum in Leeuwarden
- A 2,500-year-old sculpture from the monumental ruins of Chavín de Huantar is returned to the Peruvian ambassador
- The Paris Court of Appeal has ruled not to drop the antiquities trafficking indictment against former Louvre director Jean-Luc Martinez and curator Jean-François Charnier
- Ukraine very own, "Arsène Lupin" is sentenced to five years in French prison
- "Con il traffico di opere d'arte ci manteniamo la famiglia." Words from Cosa Nostra Boss Matteo Messina Denaro?
Larry Rothfield’s The Punching Bag
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- Libya: Cultural Racketeering by the Actual Mafia and What it Tells Us about How It Should Be Fought
- Parcak's Peru Project: What about the looters?
- If Florence can lease its piazzas, why can't museums lease antiquities to raise $ to protect sites?
- "Safe haven" self-justifies collector/curator/dealer in smuggling Pakistani artifacts
- Imagine if Hobby Lobby had had to pay a Pigovian tax on the antiquities it purchased
Elginism — Repatriation Issues
- A quick update
- Greek bid to reject Sotheby’s lawsuit over bronze horse rejected
- Parthenon Marbles to return due to Brexit mixup
- The man who’s grandfather’s art was looted by the Nazis
- Heirs of prior owner of Matisse’s Portrait of Greta Moll claim rebuffed
- Greece’s new Culture Minister
- LBC interview
- Talk in Brussels on Giovanni Battista Lusieri, Elgin’s agent in Athens
- Could Brexit present an opportunity to return the Parthenon Marbles?
- The continuing campaign for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles
Lee Rosenbaum’s CultureGrrl
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- FBI Art Squad FBI’s Art Detail
- Carabinieri Art Squad The Tutela del Patrimonio Culturale, Italy’s Art Squad.
- Interpol Art Detail Interpol has tracked the trade in stolen art since 1947.
- ICE ICE Cultural Property, Art and Antiquities Investigations
- The Getty The website of the J. Paul Getty Trust
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art The Greek and Roman Galleries of the Met
- Boston MFA Art of the Ancient World at the Boston MFA