Jason: We were thrilled to be able to attend the inauguration of the Getty goddess in her new home in Aidone, Sicily. For both Ralph and me, the trip — which coincided with the release of Chasing Aphrodite — really brought a feeling of closure to our own “chase,” which began more than six years ago. Seeing the goddess — can’t really call her Aphrodite anymore — in Sicily brought up some bittersweet feelings. The archaeological museum there sees about 17,000 visitors a year, far fewer than the 400,000 than visit the Getty Villa. Sicilian officials are hoping the goddess’ return will change that, but certainly fewer people will see her now, and LA has lost an important masterpiece. That said, it was VERY powerful to see the statue in her new context, a stone’s throw from Morgantina, the Greek ruins from where she was looted in the late 1970s. Surrounded by eerily similar figures depicting the fertility goddesses Persephone and Demeter, the statue takes on a startling new meaning.
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- Teach the children... twitter.com/Bethesda_Nordi… 15 hours ago
- RT @artcrimeprof: Fascinating paper on Leo Castelli's goosing of contemporary art prices by manipulating charitable deductions: "The Galler… 1 day ago
- An important read...tax fraud fuels the art world. twitter.com/artcrimeprof/s… 1 day ago
- RT @elginism: Between 1992 and 2017, archivist Greg Priore smuggled over 300 documents worth more than $8m from the Carnegie Library of Pit… 1 day ago
- @daviskellyk @DrDonnaYates Cool. Is it available now in paper form at GRI? 1 day ago
- RT @DrDonnaYates: I am *SO* excited that this Pre-Columbian art dealer's archives are going to be made public. I'm practically salivating.… 1 day ago
- RT @plunderedart: #Arts #CouncilEngland is emulating the French. It is commissioning a report on the #repatriation of colonial objects in U… 2 days ago
- RT @plunderedart: The #Louvre goes the extra mile and hires a historian to clean up its collections of any #Holocaust-era #loot. #France n… 3 days ago
- RT @ARCA_artcrime: ‘Artefact detectives’ in Iraq aim to end the theft of their history. euronews.com/2020/01/10/art… 3 days ago
- RT @CombatLooting: "Recovered Treasures. The Art of Saving Art”, on display at the #UN Headquarters in #NewYork from January 6th through 17… 3 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Kwame Opoku – MIRACLE ABJURED: STÉPHANE MARTIN REITERATES HIS OBJECTION TO RESTITUTION OF LOOTED AFRICAN ARTEFACTS
- Kwame Opoku – Zahi Hawass Is Back: When Will Nefertiti Return Home To Egypt?
- Kwame Opoku – Mark Walker’s Second Attempt To Return Looted Benin Artefacts: Innovative Approach By Pitt Rivers Museum?
- Nieuws weekend – De Klimt zat achter de klimop.
- When is a fake not a fake? Forgery fiasco involving Prince Charles highlights grey areas of the art world
- Antiquities Trafficking Indictment Unsealed: Latchford Prosecution Raises Legal Issues
- At the Crossroads of Cultural Heritage Preservation: SCOTUS Rules on the Peace Cross and the Establishment Clause
- El Salvador Seeks U.S. Renewal of Cultural Property MoU
- CPAC Considers Import Restrictions on Cultural Property from Chile and Jordan
- The Met's Surrender of a Gilded Egyptian Coffin Presents a Golden Opportunity to Deter Antiquities Looting
- Help the Guardian locate Benin bronze statues in the UK
- reputation-laundering through the art market in Europe
- cleaning dirty money from tainted antiquities and cleaning dirty money with clean antiques, in North America, Europe and Asia: art trading and money laundering
- mental health and treasure-hunting
- sex and treasure: women’s participation in looting and trafficking of Mediterranean antiquities
- Recovered: Divān Manuscript containing the poetry collection of Hafez - the 14th century Persian poet of Shiraz, Fars Province, Iran
- De-weaponizing Culture: ARCA offers scholarships for military affiliated CPP reservists and civilians.
- 27 individuals investigated in Italy involved in online transactions of illicit objects plus a curious research method for identifying illicit antiquities
- A culture of impunity on the cultural causalities of war
- Noah Charney, leading expert on art crime and founder of ARCA, will teach at ARCA's 2020 Postgraduate Program in Art Crime and Cultural Heritage Protection
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- Pusillanimous Pussyfooters: Museums Object Mildly to the (unattributed) Threats to Iran’s Cultural Sites
- MoMA’s Accessibility Crunch: Too Many Long Lines, Too Many Stairs, Not Enough Chairs
- The Year in CultureGrrl, 2019 Edition: Museums Become Easy Targets in Difficult Times
- Cree Decree: Monkman Debunks U.S. Creation Myths in His Metropolitan Museum Commission (video)
- August in December: Uribe Becomes Sotheby’s Ex-Expert of Impressionist/Modern Art (with video)