A wonderful documentary (in Italian) showing the return of the Getty goddess to Sicily has been posted by Sicilian news site ViviEnna. You can see images of the statue’s installation and exhibition in the archaeological museum in Aidone, as well as shots of Morgatina, the nearby ruins where the statue was illegally excavated in 1979.
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- RT @serepfn: “Operazione Giunone. All’inseguimento della Triade Capitolina”, un fumetto di Roberto Lai e Filippo Tomassi https://t.co/HVkW2… 22 hours ago
- The Rubin Ladd Foundation has detailed records that suggest otherwise.... twitter.com/conflictantiq/… 1 day ago
- Read this now: The Great Plunder in Nepal twitter.com/conflictantiq/… 1 day ago
- lol twitter.com/kristinromey/s… 2 days ago
- RT @anuraag_saxena: 14 antiques retrieved from abroad in 37 years, 27 in Modi govt years: MEA indianexpress.com/article/india/… via @IndianExpress 2 days ago
- RT @conflictantiq: Martin Godon considers the possible path of a looted work (and fakes as well as antiquities), from Mosul to Paris (de Mo… 2 days ago
- RT @SAAorg: Now Hiring: Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) Coordinator (Anthropology) | Auburn University: US… 3 days ago
- RT @CultureTraffic: Cultural capitalists: Notes on the ongoing reconfiguration of trafficking culture in Asia, by @DrDonnaYates, Simon Mack… 3 days ago
- RT @Terressa_Davis: This just in! The @ManhattanDA is hiring another Antiquities Trafficking Analyst. This is a great opportunity to work o… 3 days ago
- RT @sauterne: Quotes given by ancient art dealer William Veres outlining Balkan trafficking methods. art-crime.blogspot.com/2018/07/quotes… #Unite4Herita… 3 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Kwame Opoku – LOOTED ETHIOPIAN TABOT CONCEALED PERMANENTLY IN WESTMINSTER ABBEY, LONDON. IS THERE SOMEWHERE A MINIMUM SENSE OF SHAME?
- Prison sentences and million-euro-damages for art forgery gang
- Of Rich Kids and Rare Book Theft
- Tackling Illicit Trafficking of Antiquities and its Ties to Terrorist Financing
- Sprinklers not installed at Burrell museum as £66m upgrade continues
- Preemptive Rulings Sought in Moon Dust and Bronze Horse Cases
- Importer Restored Ancient Mosaic. FBI Seized It. Now U.S. Attorney Seeks Forfeiture.
- Proposed Bill Enlists Art & Antiquities Dealers in the Fight Against Money Laundering
- New European AML/CTF Legislation Includes Art Dealers and Flags Cultural Artifacts Transactions
- Cultural Property Groups Weigh In on China MoU (including how to watch the May 2, 2018 CPAC hearing live)
- antiquities, drugs and arms – organised crime, intelligence operations and dirty wars in Turkey and beyond
- antiquities dealers, Jaume Bagot Peix and Oriol Carreras Palomar, arrested on suspicion of jihadi terrorist financing by illicit antiquities dealing
- ‘black archaeology’ in Eastern Europe: metal detecting, illicit trafficking of cultural objects, and ‘legal nihilism’ in Belarus, Poland, Russia, and Ukraine
- Operation Hieratica (Operación Hierática) update: three smugglers convicted, fined, imprisoned
- Illegal finders of antiquities in Ukraine: do digital data indicate grassroots growth, coincidence, false advertising, astroturfing, trolling or sockpuppetry?
- Recovered: "The Holy Family" by Peter Paul Rubens and "Girls on the Lawn" by Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- Quotes given by ancient art dealer William Veres outlining Balkan trafficking methods.
- On the trail of looted antiquities, Carabinieri arrest another individual in Sicily.
- More details on Operation Demetra
- Operation Demetra: The Trafficking of Sicilian Archaeological Treasures
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
- Talk in Brussels on Giovanni Battista Lusieri, Elgin’s agent in Athens - The inaugural lecture organised the Belgian Committee for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures
- Could Brexit present an opportunity to return the Parthenon Marbles? - Britain has the perfect opportunity to do the right thing and resolve differences in the coming months
- The continuing campaign for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles - Recent efforts by the IARPS in the fight for restitution
- TourismA 2017 in Florence - Parthenon Marbles round table discussion to form part of cultural tourism conference
- New finds from wreck of Elgin’s ship off Kythera - Lecture at Kings College London by Dimitris Kourkoumelis
- Jaw-Dropper from Wardropper: Expansion to Temporarily Expel Frick Collection’s Collection
- Second Thoughts: Two High-Profile Hires Depart Sotheby’s Advisory Service
- Go with the Bowie Flow? Fans Usurp the Brooklyn Museum’s American Art Galleries (with video)
- Wanna Direct the National Gallery of Art? (Job Description Below)
- Trend Bender: Baltimore Museum’s “Canon Correction” Needs Correction