Jeffrey Brown of the PBS program NewsHour interviews Ralph about Chasing Aphrodite.
Join 10,208 other subscribers
- UPDATED > USA vs One Ancient Mosaic: A Looted Syrian Masterpiece in Los Angeles May 26, 2018
- The Sidon Bull’s Head: Court Record Documents a Journey Through the Illicit Antiquities Trade September 24, 2017
- Hobby Lobby’s Legal Expert Speaks: “I can’t rule out…they used my advice to evade the law.” July 10, 2017
- UPDATED > Help Wanted: We’re Tracking Down Objects Sold By Nancy and Doris Wiener January 5, 2017
- UPDATED > Manhattan Dealer Nancy Wiener Arrested: Criminal Complaint Alleges Sweeping Conspiracy to Sell Stolen Asian Art Through Major Auction Houses December 21, 2016
- UPDATED > Inside the ISIS Looting Operation: U.S. Lawsuit Reveals Terror Group’s Brutal Bureaucracy of Plunder December 15, 2016
- The End of the Beginning: NGA Returns Kushan Buddha and Two Kapoor Objects September 18, 2016
- The Missing Link: Subhash Kapoor’s Suppliers in India Are (Finally) Getting Rolled Up July 3, 2016
- The Lessons of Palmyra: Iconoclasm in the era of Clickbait April 7, 2016
- UPDATED > Asia Week Arrest: Japanese Dealer Convicted Of Selling Stolen Art March 19, 2016
- Asia Week Raids: New Details on the Christie’s Seizures March 18, 2016
- Busted: Asia Week Raids Reveal Scope of Illicit Trade in Asian Art March 17, 2016
- The Crennan Report: The NGA’s Ex Post Facto Due Diligence Finds 22 “Questionable” Asian Antiquities February 17, 2016
- Operation Antiquity: Prison for Antiquities Dealer Behind Looting and Tax Fraud Scheme December 15, 2015
- Ball State’s Kapoor Return Reveals New False Provenance November 17, 2015
- The Seated Buddha Goes Home: Nancy Wiener and National Gallery of Australia Will Return Sculpture to India March 5, 2015
- The Kushan Buddhas: Nancy Wiener, Douglas Latchford and New Questions about Ancient Buddhas February 1, 2015
- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting November 18, 2014
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases November 4, 2014
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India September 4, 2014
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
Like us for the daily updates
- RT @zoecaselli: Looted relics returned to Cambodia receive monks’ blessings theworld.org/stories/2023-0… 11 hours ago
- @chapps @MEHFarrior @Musei_Vaticani Spotted yesterday in the wild. He’s a bit hung up at the moment https://t.co/JKywF5oZrs 14 hours ago
- RT @NagpraNews: Remains of 15 Native American individuals discovered in #Dartmouth College’s collections - “Some bones of Native American i… 14 hours ago
- @theuniversalben He makes some broad but concrete suggestions that are overdue, such as “stringent regulations abou… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Fighter jets and squadrons of military choppers have been blitzing the skies above Rome all week. Nobody I spoke to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- “Art also provides oligarchs with a mechanism to launder their reputations – weaving themselves into such a gilded… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- “so much more could be done to tackle a notoriously opaque market which has been long favoured by Russian oligarchs… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- Vladyslav Vlasiuk in The Guardian: Putin and his allies love buying art. To help us win the war in Ukraine, confisc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- RT @TomSeymour: On Saturday, @heatha_a was ejected from #BlackPowerNaps @MuseumModernArt - the museum has apologised, but is it committed t… 2 days ago
- RT @sens_ton: UNESCO builds the capacities and awareness of Koh Ker villagers against the looting and illicit trafficking of cultural prope… 2 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past Asian Civilizations Museum book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Christies Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement India Italy J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker Loot looted antiquities looting Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museums Nancy Wiener National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Selina Mohamed Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Vijay Kumar Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
Ton Cremer’s MSN
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Cultural Heritage Lawyer Rick St. Hilaire
- Cultural Property Lawyers Must Remain Alert to Antiquities Trafficking and Money Laundering
- 7 Questions You Have About the Manhattan DA’s Agreement with "A New York Antiquities Collector"
- Cultural Property Stakeholders Clash Over AML/CFT Regs for Antiquities Dealers
- New Law Aims to Protect Lunar Artifacts
- Thai Cultural Property Case Edges Closer to Settlement
Paul Barford’s Portable Antiquities and Heritage Issues
Derek Fincham’s Illicit Cultural Property
David Gill’s Looting Matters
- Destructive Exploitation and care of Cultural Objects and Professional/Public Education for sustainable heritage management (DECOPE)
- a very low estimate of metal-detecting in the United Kingdom, according to the Portable Antiquities Scheme
- loot and forgeries from Eastern Europe on the market in Western Europe, regardless of Russia’s war on Ukraine
- artefact-hunting in drug plantations and by cannabis-cultivators in Ukraine (around 2014)
- attitudes to personal and public health precautions among artefact-hunters amid the Covid-19 pandemic
The Association for Research into Crimes against Art
- 2023 ARCA Amelia Conference - Save the Date & Call for Presenters
- 77 looted artefacts to the Republic of Yemen and a well known Brooklyn dealer
- Penelope Jackson The Art of Copying Art
- Burglars strike the Princessehof Ceramics Museum in Leeuwarden
- A 2,500-year-old sculpture from the monumental ruins of Chavín de Huantar is returned to the Peruvian ambassador
Larry Rothfield’s The Punching Bag
- Against "Displacement": A Thought about Hilgert's "Culture Matters"
- 100 antiquities police officers needed, 7 on the books
- A due diligence checklist -- the starting point for a calibrated taxing system for antiquities or for a registration system
- A possible second-best solution for orphaned antiquities?
- U.S. Senators are pushing for Native American Artifact legislation -- but will it do any good?
Elginism — Repatriation Issues
Lee Rosenbaum’s CultureGrrl
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- FBI Art Squad FBI’s Art Detail
- Carabinieri Art Squad The Tutela del Patrimonio Culturale, Italy’s Art Squad.
- Interpol Art Detail Interpol has tracked the trade in stolen art since 1947.
- ICE ICE Cultural Property, Art and Antiquities Investigations
- The Getty The website of the J. Paul Getty Trust
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art The Greek and Roman Galleries of the Met
- Boston MFA Art of the Ancient World at the Boston MFA