- SCOOP: Bowers Museum will return 500+ Thai antiquities seized during 2008 raids
- UPDATED > Singapore Sling: The Asian Civilizations Museum Paid Kapoor More Than $1 million
- UPDATED > Rebuilding Koh Ker: A 3D Reconstruction Restores Context to a Looted Khmer Temple
- Reckless: In Pursuit of Shiva, the National Gallery of Australia Ignored the Advice of Its Attorney
- UPDATED > Radford Speaks, RETIRES: Director of Australia’s National Gallery Is In Denial
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- It's proving hard for Canada to return a stolen sculpture to India fb.me/2XF4kRviO 1 hour ago
- UK police hunt for the Nanteos cup, believed by some to be the 'Holy Grail' fb.me/35oRjZZWz 1 day ago
- Satellite-Based Monitoring of Looting and Damage to Archaeological Sites in Syria, by Jesse Casana & Mitra Panahipour fb.me/425n6pW5R 1 day ago
- Experts meet in Paris to discuss plan to protect Iraqi cultural heritage (en espanol) fb.me/32rmFWC9Q 1 day ago
- Venezuela seeks return of 30-ton sacred stone donated to German artist by former Venezuelan president Rafael... fb.me/3lfgTaKF1 1 day ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Protected: Accused Master Art Forger Tracked Down In Shanghai – ABC News
- Peju Layiwola – Walker and the Restitution of Two Benin Bronzes.
- Protected: Saving Antiquities for Everyone | How the Ka-Nefer-Nefer/SLAM case could finally be put to rest
- Kwame Opoku – A SEASON OF “MIRACLES’’? BOSTON MUSEUM RETURNS LOOTED NIGERIAN ARTEFACTS
- Dinosaur Cases Offer Due Diligence Lesson
- UPDATED > Dinosaur Track Defendant Pleads Guilty to PRPA Charge in Utah Federal Court
- Support the Cultural Heritage Lawyer Blog
- SLAM Dunks Declaratory Judgment Action, Leaving Feds With No Forum to Claim That Ka Nefer Nefer is Stolen
- ABA Journal: How countries are successfully using the law to get looted cultural treasures back
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Ιράκ: δεν υπάρχει καμιά μαρτυρία ότι πυρπολήθηκε η Εκκλησία του Αγίου Πέτρου στη Μοσούλη
- Yet more bullshit, still no evidence that Saint Ephraim’s Cathedral in Mosul has been burned
- There is no evidence that Saint Ephraim’s Cathedral in Mosul has been burned
- Islamic State urbicide in Iraq: destruction of Shia cultural property and state structures in Bashir (Kirkuk)
- video of “destruction of Tomb of Prophet Jonah” is from at least ten months ago
- Book Review: ARCA Lecturer Tom Flynn adds chapter to "Risk and Uncertainty in the Art World"
- In the Red Corner: “Connoisseurship and Art History”, and the Blue Corner: “Scientific Testing and Analysis” – Who’s right in determining Authenticity?
- ARCA '14 Art Crime Conference: James Moore on "The Fall of the House of Knoedler: Fakes, Deception and Naiveté"
- The Knoedler Art Gallery and Controversy: Further Reading
- Father Zerafa's recommended reading on Caravaggio's Stolen Palermo Nativity -- and his memory of visiting the painting in the S Lorenzo Chapel
- Stings, Seizures, Restitution: Are they cost-effective? And who should pay?
- Who's Using Drones to Monitor Archaeological Sites? Looters!
- Why Christie's Thinks It Can Find Buyers for Antiquities Lacking Pre-1970s Provenance
- US Military in Iraq Used Remote Sensors Near Archaeological Sites -- Unfortunately, Not to Monitor the Sites
- Two Cheers for Interdiction and Restitution!
- Preview screening of Promakhos – a film about the Parthenon Marbles
- Greece needs a new Melina Mercouri to spearhead the Parthenon Marbles Campaign
- The Athenian Acropolis as a movie backdrop
- Rhodes offers to host Clooney’s wedding in thanks for Parthenon Marbles support
- Australia’s NGA relinquishes Dancing Shiva ownership claims
- News Flash: Standing Granted for Some Save the Corcoran Members UPDATED and CORRECTED
- Corcoran Cliffhanger: What Will Happen in DC Superior Court Tomorrow? UPDATED
- News Flash: D.C. Attorney General Supports Corcoran Merger
- Grand Bargain vs. Tawdry Fire Sale: Detroit Institute of Arts’ Progress on the Former, Caveats on Latter
- “Egregious Mismanagement”: Save the Corcoran’s Serious Allegations in Court Filing
Search Results for: kapoor
UPDATE: In response to this report, the Asian Civilizations Museum confirmed our accounting and released information on a few objects we missed, including six additional paintings purchased for $100,000 and a 10th century stone Nandi purchased for $55,000. That brings the total paid … Continue reading
UPDATED > Trouble in Toledo: Feds Investigate Stolen Ganesh, Other Objects from Kapoor at Toledo Museum
Let the Lotus Feet of Lord Ganesha, from whom scriptures sprout, confer on us unmixed blessings. Like thunderbolts, let them shatter away hurdles that are heaped like mountains. ─ Prayers to Ganesha UPDATE 2/27: The federal government is investigating the … Continue reading
UPDATE 2/15: The Hindu has revealed new evidence that the Shiva was stolen — a photograph of the bronze taken in situ some 30 years ago. Tamil Nadu police have confirmed the match, reports A. Srivathsan. Vijay Kumar has demonstrated previously … Continue reading
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office criminally charged the girlfriend of Manhattan antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor on Friday, alleging she participated in a decades-long conspiracy to launder stolen antiquities by creating false ownership histories and, more recently, helpin to hide four … Continue reading
UPDATE: The National Gallery of Australia announced Thursday that it is seeking to return its stolen Shiva, purchased from Kapoor in 2008 for $5 million, and will pursue a lawsuit against Kapoor. See below for details. The manager of Subhash … Continue reading
Untold Millions: The National Gallery of Australia Won’t Say What They Paid Kapoor, So We Will – At least $8.5M
The National Gallery of Australia has refused to tell Australia’s Senate how much it paid (with public money, in some cases) for the 21 objects it acquired from New York antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor, who is now facing criminal trial in … Continue reading
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office has charged the sister of Manhattan antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor with attempting to hide from federal authorities four stolen bronze sculptures worth $14.5 million. Sushma Sareen was charged on October 7 with four counts of felony … Continue reading
The Art Gallery of New South Wales has released provenance information for one of the six objects it purchased from Subhash Kapoor, the New York antiquities dealer currently facing trial in India for trafficking in looted art. (Past coverage here.) … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading
UPDATED: In recent years Canada’s Royal Ontario Museum has acquired eight objects from Art of the Past, the Manhattan antiquities gallery specializing in South Asian art that is now the focus of an international investigation into its owner’s alleged ties … Continue reading