- Danti’s Inference: The Known Unknowns Of ISIS and Antiquities Looting
- Hecht’s Footprints: Haverford College Opens Up About Source of Their Greek Vases
- Shiva Goes Home: Australia’s Prime Minister Returns Looted Kapoor Idols to India
- Twenty Percent: ISIS “Khums” Tax on Archaeological Loot Fuels the Conflicts in Syria and Iraq
- Boston MFA’s Provenance Research Reveals The Illicit Trade In African Antiquities
BUY THE BOOK
Search the website:
- RT @saveantiquities: Why Preserving Pakistan's Cultural Heritage Should Matter to the United States ow.ly/IeBzp http://t.co/CiKS… 14 hours ago
- Bulgaria seizes 2,000 antiquities as part of a Europe-wide crackdown dubbed Operation Aureus fb.me/1BG4D793B 15 hours ago
- RT @adreinhard: @vagabondslog @ArchaeoVenturer @ChasingAphrodit About flippin' time. I've been asking for this for years. Now where do I si… 2 days ago
- Looting Matters' @davidwjgill has some thoughts on Jenrick's remarks: lootingmatters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-ma… 2 days ago
- Operation Aureus: European crackdown on illicit antiquities trade yields 35 arrests, 2200 seized artifacts in 14... fb.me/3qTAqILXR 2 days ago
What we’re talking aboutAAMD American Numismatic Society antiquities Aphrodite archaeology Arnold-Peter Weiss art crime Arthur Houghton Art of the Past book review Cambodia Chasing Aphrodite Cleveland Museum Dallas Museum of Art David Gill Denver Art Museum Dietrich von Bothmer Douglas Latchford Edoardo Almagià Elie Borowski Events FBI Gary Vikan Getty Museum Getty Villa Giacomo Medici Gianfranco Becchina Hugh Eakin illicit antiquities Immigration and Customs Enforcement Italy J. Paul Getty J. Paul Getty Museum J. Paul Getty Trust James Cuno james grimaldi Jane Levine Jim Cuno Jiri Frel Khmer Kimbell Art Museum Koh Ker KQED lee rosenbaum Loot looted antiquities looting Malcolm Bell Marion True Metropolitan Museum of Art Michaela Boland Michael Padgett museum museums National Gallery of Australia New York Review of Books Nomos AG Norton Simon Museum numismatics Princeton University repatriation Robert Hecht Robin Symes Ron Radford SAFE scandal Sicily Sotheby's Subhash Kapoor Tamil Nadu The Art Newspaper Timothy Potts Turkey Walters Museum of Art WikiLoot
- Courthouse News Service – Rothko Historian Can’t Shake Forgery Lawsuit
- DALI FORGERY: Reliance on Art Gallery Reasonable, No Duty for Art Buyer to Conduct Own Due Diligence | Art Law
- Protected: Massive Old Masters Forgery Ring Busted in Spain – artnet News
- Protected: Couple accused of illegally obtaining £80million of art by Pablo Picasso | Daily Mail Online
- Protected: Ex-electrician stands trial for priceless Codex Calixtinus manuscript theft | Spain’s Latest News
- Be a Judge: The 2015 National Cultural Heritage Law Moot Court Competition Needs You!
- Opposition to MoU's: A Change in Policy for the Association of Art Museum Directors?
- U.N. Report: Destruction of Heritage Flagged as Risk Factor Related to Atrocity Crimes
- Back Again: A Bill Weakening the NHPA Has Been Proposed in the House
- Arts and Artifacts Indemnity Program for Museum Exhibitions: New Budget Law Sets Higher Limits
- You, a white non-Arabic-speaking non-Muslim, do not want to sneak into Islamic State territory and produce an exposé…
- antiquities looted during unrest in Egypt are reaching public markets in the West
- Wouldn’t it be better for collectors and dealers to restrict themselves to the 145-year-old market in licensed antiquities from Cyprus?
- Activist agenda?
- Agenda? What? Retraction? How?
- Breaking News: Will the Real Owners of the Stolen Paul Gauguin Painting Please Stand Up? A Case for Mediation.
- Policeman, Antiquities Smuggler, Black Market Cigarette Bootlegger, Arms Trafficker, Terrorist: A Snapshot of the Many Faces of One, Greek, Organized Crime Cell
- Once Upon a Time in Five Secure Vaults in Switzerland
- Retired insurance executive Dorit Straus returns to teach "Insurance Claims and the Art Trade" in Amelia this summer
- Introducing ARCA Lecturer Dr. Tom Flynn — ‘The International Art Market and Associated Risk’
- The Association of Art Museum Directors' Opposition to MOUs: Is it Justifiable, and What's the Alternative?
- Numbers that matter: the AAAS Report on Site Looting in Syria, and where we go from here
- Pick a Number, Any Number
- Scathing critique of UNESCO's ineffectual response to Syrian crisis
- Zahi Hawass and the theory of deterrence
- Goshen Commotion: Kimmelman’s Belated, Muddled Plea to Save Architect Paul Rudolph’s Masterpiece (with video)
- “The Dish” to Fold: Andrew Sullivan’s Blogger Burnout
- Glenn Lowry as AAMD’s Improbable Expert on “Public Trust”
- Sotheby’s Raises Its Buyer’s Premium. How Much Is Too Much?
- AAMD’s Midwinter Meeting: Cultural Property, “Public Trust”
Search Results for: kapoor
On Friday, Australia’s Prime Minister Tony Abbott will return two looted idols seized from Australian museums during a meeting with his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi in New Delhi. Abbott will personally deliver the National Gallery of Australia‘s $5 million Dancing … Continue reading
UPDATE: In response to this report, the Asian Civilizations Museum confirmed our accounting and released information on a few objects we missed, including six additional paintings purchased for $100,000 and a 10th century stone Nandi purchased for $55,000. That brings the total paid … Continue reading
UPDATED > Trouble in Toledo: Feds Investigate Stolen Ganesh, Other Objects from Kapoor at Toledo Museum
Let the Lotus Feet of Lord Ganesha, from whom scriptures sprout, confer on us unmixed blessings. Like thunderbolts, let them shatter away hurdles that are heaped like mountains. ─ Prayers to Ganesha UPDATE 10/2/14: The Toledo Museum announced it would … Continue reading
UPDATE 2/15: The Hindu has revealed new evidence that the Shiva was stolen — a photograph of the bronze taken in situ some 30 years ago. Tamil Nadu police have confirmed the match, reports A. Srivathsan. Vijay Kumar has demonstrated previously … Continue reading
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office criminally charged the girlfriend of Manhattan antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor on Friday, alleging she participated in a decades-long conspiracy to launder stolen antiquities by creating false ownership histories and, more recently, helpin to hide four … Continue reading
UPDATE: The National Gallery of Australia announced Thursday that it is seeking to return its stolen Shiva, purchased from Kapoor in 2008 for $5 million, and will pursue a lawsuit against Kapoor. See below for details. The manager of Subhash … Continue reading
Untold Millions: The National Gallery of Australia Won’t Say What They Paid Kapoor, So We Will – At least $8.5M
The National Gallery of Australia has refused to tell Australia’s Senate how much it paid (with public money, in some cases) for the 21 objects it acquired from New York antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor, who is now facing criminal trial in … Continue reading
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office has charged the sister of Manhattan antiquities dealer Subhash Kapoor with attempting to hide from federal authorities four stolen bronze sculptures worth $14.5 million. Sushma Sareen was charged on October 7 with four counts of felony … Continue reading
The Art Gallery of New South Wales has released provenance information for one of the six objects it purchased from Subhash Kapoor, the New York antiquities dealer currently facing trial in India for trafficking in looted art. (Past coverage here.) … Continue reading
Federal authorities announced this week that they have seized an estimated $100 million worth of ancient art linked to Subhash Kapoor, the New York art dealer currently facing trial in India — and an arrest warrant in the United States — … Continue reading